Wednesday 18 May 2011

New Design - Large Pram Snuggle



I have had lots of people asking if I make Pram Snuggles for older babies. I have had a design in mind for a while now but just not enough time to sit down and do it. But today after replying to an email and having to say that no, my Pram Snuggles probably won't fit an 18 month old, I found some motivation, and put aside the housework to find the time to make one up and see if my idea would work.


The main problem I found was the length. For it to fit an older baby or toddler the bottom would have to be quite a bit longer than normal. The problem with that is it would touch the ground when open, and could get caught up in the pram wheels. So what I did was made it longer, but I folded the bottom up and joined the front and back together forming a pocket, kind of like a sleeping bag bottom. The pocket doesn't go all the way up, just enough for it to stop it from touching the ground when it is opened up (you can see what I mean in the photo to the right). I have made it the same length as my foot muff/cosy toes attachment on my stroller which leaves a lot of growing room for my seven month old. 


Even with the bottom sewn up it still functions as a blanket, not a sleeping bag. They are easy to use: First, place the pram snuggle into the pram, then pull the harness straps through the holes and secure the Velcro tabs. Then sit baby in pram as normal, making sure their feet are inside the pocket (if their legs are long enough, that is!). The side flaps then fold over in front of baby. Bring the bottom section up, wrap around their lap and tuck in so that they are sitting on the wings of the bottom section, securing it with their weight. Being a blanket, it can easily be loosened if baby gets too warm.




I will be making these to order, in a limited fabric selection. I still need to work out a price for these - I will be able to do this once I decide on which fabrics will be best to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment